As Director of Public Health for the Montréal region, I am charged by the Minister of Health and Social Services with
- informing the population on the general state of health of Montrealers, its major health problems, as well as on the groups most at risk, priority health issues, and the interventions considered the most effective;
- monitoring the evolution of the overall state of Montrealers and conducting any studies or research required for that purpose;
- identifying situations which could pose a threat to the population's health and acting to ensure that the necessary protective measures are taken;
- providing expertise in preventive health and health promotion and advise the Agence de la santé et des services sociaux de Montréal on prevention services that serve to reduce mortality and avoidable morbidity; and
- identifying situations where intersectoral action is necessary to prevent diseases, accidents and injuries, or social problems that have an impact on the health of the population, and, where appropriate, taking the measures deemed necessary to support such action.
I also perform any other functions entrusted to me under the Public Health Act .